We were delighted last month by the news that President Obama had designated five new national monuments. Located in Delaware, Maryland, Ohio, New Mexico, and Washington, the monuments include historic sites that help tell the story of our shared cultural heritage, as well as natural spaces, now protected for future generations.
The new monuments are:
- First State National Monument (Delaware)
- Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Monument (Maryland)
- Charles Young Buffalo Soldiers National Monument (Ohio)
- Rio Grande del Norte National Monument (New Mexico)
- San Juan Islands National Monument (Washington)
“These sites honor the pioneering heroes, spectacular landscapes and rich history that have shaped our extraordinary country,” said President Obama on March 25. “By designating these national monuments today, we will ensure they will continue to inspire and be enjoyed by generations of Americans to come.”
To celebrate the newest additions, we’ve created a (digital) topical collection of related stamps:
Can you match each stamp to the correct national monument? Which stamps would you add to the collection?